The REAL Big Hug
LGBTIQ Victorians and their allies are invited to this celebration of our strengths and our allies that helped us get through the Marriage Equality Postal Vote.
We will be celebrating our allies in the broader community and looking at what we can do to be even better allies to each other within LGBTIQ communities.
Hosted by Ro Allen, Gender and Sexuality Commissioner. Concept by Michelle Sheppard and Anastasia Le.
Join us for afternoon tea and to help us make a colossal cupcake collage that pays tribute to our allies. The event will also include:
- Afternoon tea
- Pamper stations: manicure and massage
- Kids corner: face painting and story telling
Come for the fun – and you can also help document your message about the power of allies. We will have a photographer and film maker on hand to document your messages about allies (this is optional). The Film and photographs will be shared on social media for those who were unable to attend. Thanks to artist Kenton Miller for the beautiful artwork for this page.
- Date: Sunday 5th August 2018
- Time: 1-3pm
- Location: Footscray Community Arts Centre, 45 Moreland St, Footscray VIC
- RSVP: essential through EventBrite – link here
- Download the flyer below
Catherine Barrett: 0429 582 237 or email@example.com
There are a range of services that provide support to LGBTIQ+ Victorians
- Switchboard Victoria provides peer based support for LGBTIQ people and their friends, family and allies. Switchboard is a Victorian partner in the national telephone and web counselling, information and referral service (QLife) and are available 3pm – 12am every day on 1800 184 527 or web: http://www.switchboard.org.au/
- Queerspace provides a safe and supportive space to obtain information and access services aimed at improving the health and wellbeing of the queer and LGBTIQA+ communities. queerspace is staffed by queer identified practitioners, counsellors, group facilitators and community engagement workers. we are a community space run by drummond street services that advocates, supports, researchers and engages through community driven voices and events with the LGBTIQ community. Phone: 03 9663 6733 or go to web by clicking the link here
- VAC counselling service: the first session is free and from then on fees are based on a scale depending on your income. Open Monday to Thursday 9am – 8pm. Friday 9am – 4pm. Phone (03) 9865 6700 or web: http://vac.org.au/lgbti-health/counselling
- QLife is Australia’s first nationally-oriented counselling and referral service for LGBTIQ people. QLife are available from 5:30pm – 10:30pm and can be contacted on 1800 184 527 or web: https://qlife.org.au/
- beyondblue provides a free phone service 24 hours a day on 1300 22 4636 or web: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/
- Lifeline is a free phone service available 24 hours a day on 13 11 14 or web: https://www.lifeline.org.au/